Located 35 miles from Manhattan in the suburb town of Livingston, New Jersey, Newark Academy’s 68-acre campus borders Morris and Essex counties. Its faculty is highly regarded in the New Jersey independent school community for its especially effective combination of rigor and compassion. Newark Academy offers an exceptional environment in which to teach students in grades 6-12. Learn more about Newark Academy on our website and Careers at NA
Newark Academy cultivates a diverse school community and is committed to our responsibility for fostering and maintaining a caring and inclusive environment that thrives on intellectual, social, and emotional interactions across differences. Members of the Newark Academy community are encouraged to build trusting relationships with one another grounded in kindness and empathy. Through intentional, active and ongoing engagement of multiple voices, we strive to create an equitable environment where all members can have a sense of belonging to learn and grow as citizens of the world. NA runs a very successful IB Diploma program for juniors and seniors. People of color make up 55% of the student body and 25% of the full-time teaching faculty.
We are seeking a full-time teacher to join our humanities faculty starting August, 2021. We are highly interested in someone with experience teaching economics, but will consider other areas of focus to find a well qualified, student-focused addition to our humanities department. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the humanities and the experience to inspire students to think critically, write thoughtfully, and view the world from multiple perspectives.
- Prepare lessons to deliver to assigned students, generally four sections.
- Integrate technology to engage students during in-person classes and remote learning scenarios.
- Collaborate with colleagues to design and improve curriculum and engage students.
- Meet school guidelines regarding grading, record-keeping, and use of the learning management system to post information about classes.
- Participate in school-wide activities such as workshops, special events and professional meetings.
- Demonstrate flexibility and instructional agility in response to multiple teaching and learning scenarios in response to the coronavirus - in person, remote, and hybrid scenarios are all options as NA responds to health and safety guidelines.
- Engage in the life of Newark Academy as a club sponsor, coach, and through various committees.
- Experience working with and supporting a diverse community of students, parents, and colleagues.
- Experience teaching Humanities courses in middle school, upper school, or higher ed setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Experience working in independent schools preferred but not required.
Diversity / Inclusion Statement:
Newark Academy seeks and celebrates diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body. In admissions and employment practices, scholarship aid and educational programs, Newark Academy upholds applicable state and federal laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination.
Newark Academy is taking all recommended measures to honor employee and student safety during this challenging time. Interviews and campus tours are being conducted using Zoom and will be re-evaluated as safety guidelines change. More information about how the Newark Academy community has emphasized health and safety during the pandemic can be reviewed on the NA Back To School
pages of our website.
Please send a cover letter and résumé, preferably as one PDF, to Traci Osterhagen, Dean of Faculty, at email@example.com