Located 35 miles from Manhattan in the suburb town of Livingston, New Jersey, Newark Academy’s 68-acre campus borders Morris and Essex counties. Its faculty is highly regarded in the New Jersey independent school community for its especially effective combination of rigor and compassion. Newark Academy offers an exceptional environment in which to teach students in grades 6-12.
Newark Academy cultivates a diverse school community and is committed to our responsibility for fostering and maintaining a caring and inclusive environment that thrives on intellectual, social, and emotional interactions across differences. Members of the Newark Academy community are encouraged to build trusting relationships with one another grounded in kindness and empathy. Through intentional, active and ongoing engagement of multiple voices, we strive to create an equitable environment where all members can have a sense of belonging to learn and grow as citizens of the world.
Newark Academy seeks to create a pool of individuals aligned with our mission to serve as Substitute Teachers in the Middle School and Upper School. A successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for teaching and learning and have the ability to:
- Demonstrate care and respect for all students by implementing the lessons provided by the teacher in a thoughtful manner.
- Be actively engaged with students in the classroom and other supervisory duties.
- Ensure that the time spent in class is treated as a critical resource for learning.
- Communicate expectations for classroom behaviors for students respectfully and fairly.
- Ask questions or seek help when needed from administrators, faculty, or staff to support students and the teachers.
- Maintain requested records and leave notes for the teacher.
Ideal candidates will have classroom teaching experience and/or specific content expertise. These are on-call, pool positions for which daily assignments would be mutually agreed upon based on need and availability. Interested candidates should forward a letter of interest and resume to Traci Osterhagen, Dean of Faculty, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Newark Academy seeks and celebrates diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body. In admission and employment practices, scholarship aid and educational programs, Newark Academy upholds applicable state and federal laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination.