Newark Academy is seeking an English teacher for the spring semester to fill in for a faculty member going on leave. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching English, a passion for literature, and the experience to inspire students’ reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. Experience with the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IB) is helpful, but not required. This position includes teaching two sections of IB English HL and two sections of Literature and Composition - 9th Grade.
- Prepare lessons to deliver to assigned students, generally four sections
- Collaborate with colleagues to design and improve curriculum and engage students
- Meet school guidelines regarding grading, recordkeeping, and use of the learning management system to post information about classes
- Participate in school-wide activities such as workshops, special events, and professional meetings
- Demonstrate flexibility and instructional agility as needed—in-person, remote, and hybrid scenarios are all options as NA responds to health and safety guidelines
- Engage in the life of Newark Academy
- Experience teaching English in middle school, upper school, or higher educational setting
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Experience working with and supporting a diverse community of students, parents, and colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience working in independent schools is preferred but not required
Located 35 miles from Manhattan in the suburb town of Livingston, New Jersey, Newark Academy’s 68-acre campus borders Morris and Essex counties. Its faculty is highly regarded in the New Jersey independent school community for their especially effective combination of teaching that embraces rigor and compassion. Newark Academy offers an exceptional environment in which to teach students in Grades 6-12. Learn more about Newark Academy on our website and Careers at NA
Newark Academy cultivates a diverse school community and is committed to fostering and maintaining a caring and inclusive environment that thrives on intellectual, social, and emotional interactions. Members of the Newark Academy community are encouraged to build trusting relationships with one another, grounded in kindness and empathy. Through intentional, active and ongoing engagement of multiple voices, we strive to create an equitable environment where all members can have a sense of belonging to learn and grow as citizens of the world.
Diversity / Inclusion Statement:
Newark Academy seeks and celebrates diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body. In admissions and employment practices, scholarship aid, and educational programs, Newark Academy upholds applicable state and federal laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination.
*Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to Teaching@newarka.edu.