Newark Academy is seeking a full-time middle school science teacher to join our faculty in August 2023. The ideal candidate will have a passion for educating middle school students and inspiring scientific thinking through hands-on, active, lab-based classes.
Located 35 miles from Manhattan in the suburb town of Livingston, New Jersey, Newark Academy’s 68-acre campus borders Morris and Essex counties. Its faculty is highly regarded in the New Jersey independent school community for its especially effective combination of teaching that embraces rigor and compassion. Newark Academy offers an exceptional environment in which to teach students in Grades 6-12. Learn more about Newark Academy on our website and Careers at NA
Newark Academy cultivates a diverse school community and is committed to fostering and maintaining a caring and inclusive environment that thrives on intellectual, social, and emotional interactions. Members of the Newark Academy community are encouraged to build trusting relationships with one another, grounded in kindness and empathy. Through intentional, active, and ongoing engagement of multiple voices, we strive to create an equitable environment where all members can have a sense of belonging to learn and grow as citizens of the world.
- Prepare lessons to deliver to assigned students, generally four sections
- Collaborate with colleagues to design and improve curriculum and engage students
- Meet school guidelines regarding grading, record keeping, and use of the learning management system to post information about classes
- Participate in school-wide activities such as workshops, special events, and professional meetings
- Demonstrate flexibility and instructional agility in response to multiple teaching and learning scenarios
- Engage in the life of Newark Academy as a club sponsor, coach, and through various committees
- Experience teaching science in middle school, upper school, or higher ed setting
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree is preferred
- Experience working with and supporting a diverse community of students, parents, and colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience working in independent schools preferred but not required
Diversity / Inclusion Statement:
Newark Academy seeks and celebrates diversity in its faculty, staff, and student body. In admissions and employment practices, scholarship aid, and educational programs, Newark Academy upholds applicable state and federal laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination.
*Please email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to Teaching@newarka.edu